More than just a field trip: Connecting students & nature
This report presents findings from an ongoing study of 3- and 5-day residential education programs at a national park institute. The sample includes over 1000 students representing over 100 school groups over a two year period from 2005 to 2007.
A Tremont experience strengthens students' connection with the natural world.
Learning about the outdoors and gaining a better appreciation of its value produces students who are good stewards of the environment.
Students leave Tremont with a better understanding of science and the natural world--both of specific topics and broader overall relationships.
Educational experiences outside the classroom heighten students' interest in learning and desire to explore the outdoors.
- environmental education
- outdoor education, experiential education
- out of school time/after school
- on site day programs (nature center, farm, etc.)
- environmental knowledge, attitude and awareness
- stewardship behavior
- elementary (6-11 years old)
- middle school (12-14 years old)
- high school (14-18 years old)