Online Education for Sustainability: Immersion
- July 13, 2020
- August 7, 2020
For those who already have a strong foundation in Education for Sustainability and wish to dive deeply into their education for sustainability work. Our month-long program will provide you with the opportunity to reflect, learn, and collaborate with a group of colleagues from across the country. The Immersion blends a design studio feel with self-directed learning.
Each module will explore a different essential question:
Module 1: What is Education for Sustainability?
Module 2: How do we design and educate for sustainability?
Module 3: How is place part of who we are? How does who we are impact how we teach?
Module 4: What can I offer, what can I gain from a network of EFS leaders?
This course is action-oriented with an expectation that participants will create an EFS portfolio that includes an EFS Action Plan, an EFS unit or project design, and a Sustainability Ethics and Values Statement.
Course Goals and Objectives
Educators in this course will:
- Deepen your understanding about EFS in order to:
- identify the associated pedagogies,
- analyze and evaluate curriculum
- Design and create EFS projects/curriculum with student voice and community relevancy.
- Share your sustainability ethic and values as a practitioner.
- Using a sustainability lens, self-assess your values in comparison to EFS key competencies.
- Practice leadership skills and reflect on agency and collaborative capacities
- Apply principles of systems thinking to your teaching and learning context and your practice to elevate strengths or make change in their systems.
- Engage in a network of educators and leaders- within this course and and in your own setting - working collectively at a variety of scales to shift systems to wholeness, equity, and joy.
Registration required; additional registration for graduate credit through the University of Vermont.
Participant Fee: $200, excludes graduate credits.
Scholarships may be available on a need-based scale. Please fill out the scholarship application prior to registering for the program.
Optional three graduate credits for an additional fee. $705 for in-state and $900 for out-of-state paid via Shelburne Farms; there are no refunds available for graduate credits.
For program and graduate credit questions, please contact Jen Cirillo at [email protected] or 802-985-0315.